Bystander Action Workshops (for campuses not currently implementing Green Dot)
Presenting Partner: Green Dot Etcetera
Program Description: A 90-minute interactive workshop that introduces the basic elements of bystander intervention while using persuasive and inspirational language and skill building activities to prepare participants to take action. It provides a new framework of bystander intervention, generates campus-wide buy-in, and begins the process of behavioral change. It is designed to inspire hope that individuals can make a difference and provide an array of immediate, actionable behaviors that individuals can begin to put into practice.
Goals: Students will:
- Recognize behaviors that may constitute or lead to sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, and stalking.
- Increase intrinsic motivation to intervene in order to reduce the likelihood that it will happen again or reduce the likelihood that it will happen at all.
- Recognize barriers that may prevent them from doing something in the face of potential interpersonal violence.
- Develop realistic options to act as a bystander given their unique set of barriers.
- Learn realistic pro-social behaviors they can do to establish two campus norms: Interpersonal violence will not be tolerated, and Everyone is expected to do their part.
Time: 90 minutes (Green Dot Etcetera will provide up to 4 workshops with different student groups in one day)
Intended Audience: Members of the Greek and mainstream student population on campus. Ideal group size is 35-50 students.
Presenter Bio: Green Dot Etcetera is an organization built on the premise that interpersonal violence can be measurably reduced within any given community. We believe current research across disciplines, in combination with lessons learned from the history of violence prevention efforts and an innovative approach to engaging participants, provide the necessary puzzle pieces to create a successful model for violence prevention. By empowering individuals within communities to harness the power of their collective actions, we believe they can create realistic solutions to the unacceptable rates of violence within our culture.
More information: Download a one-pager about this program.
Booking Information: Contact Lea Hegge, MPH; Director of Programs, Green Dot Etcetera; email@example.com; (571) 319-0354.