Each year the North-American Interfraternity Conference recognizes excellence in the fraternity industry by conferring awards to individuals, groups and organizations who exemplify leadership, service and fraternal values.
We are proud to announce the 2016 honorees for the NIC Awards of Distinction, NIC Gold Medal and Laurel Wreath Awards. This year, we made an important shift in the awards process to personalize the recognition and raise greater awareness of the NIC’s impact and the impact of the recipients. Rather than presenting the awards at the NIC Annual Meeting, throughout the summer and fall, we will honor recipients in their local communities through public ceremonies on their campuses or at inter/fraternal events and programs.
Undergraduate Award of Distinction
The Undergraduate Award of Distinction seeks to recognize fraternity men who have found in their experience an outlet for developing as both a leader and a better man. The recipients are those who embody the values of their fraternity and expect the same from those with whom they associate. Read about each of the following 2016 honorees here:
- Ryan D’Ercole – Sigma Phi Epsilon, Christopher Newport University
- William Marcus Gibson – Theta Chi, The University of Alabama
- Peter Inge – Alpha Tau Omega, The University of Alabama
- Agassy Rodriguez – Lambda Theta Phi, University of Florida
- Nick Sweetman – Delta Sigma Phi, Arizona State University
Chapter Award of Distinction
The Chapter Award of Distinction recognizes the undergraduate chapter which is highly functioning, in compliance with NIC Standards, seeks to educate others about the benefits of a values-based fraternity experience, and works to maintain a healthy relationship with their inter/national organization. Read about each of the following 2016 honorees here:
- Alpha Tau Omega – Belmont University
- FarmHouse Fraternity – Kansas State University
- Sigma Nu – Butler University
- Sigma Phi Epsilon – Stevens Institute of Technology
- Theta Chi – Missouri State University
Council Award of Distinction
The Council Award of Distinction is given to the Interfraternity Council which operates in full compliance with NIC Standards and works to maintain an environment on its respective campus which is conducive to the success of member chapters. The 2016 recipient is the Arizona State University IFC.
NIC Gold Medal
As one of the oldest traditions in the interfraternal world, the presentation of the NIC Gold Medal dates back more than 70 years. The Gold Medal is presented for lifelong service to the interfraternal community and is the highest honor the NIC can bestow. The NIC is pleased to announce the presentation of the Gold Medal in 2016 to Robert L. Off of FarmHouse Fraternity.
Laurel Wreath Awards
The Laurel Wreath is presented to individuals or groups in recognition of their unique programs, community outreach, or influence within the fraternal world. The NIC is pleased to announce the presentation of four Laurel Wreath Awards in 2016. Read about the honorees here.
- Alpha Sigma Phi – Toastmasters’ Lite
- Alpha Tau Omega, Delta Sigma Phi, Kappa Alpha Order, Phi Gamma Delta, Phi Kappa Tau, Sigma Nu – Social Strengths Workshop
- Theta Chi – Sacred Purpose
- Zeta Beta Tau, Alpha Epsilon Phi, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Delta Tau in conjunction with the Anti-Defamation League – Words to Action
For specific information related to the award recipients, please contact Kristin Fouts.
Founded in 1909, the North-American Interfraternity Conference is the trade association representing 70 international and national men’s fraternities. Through advocacy, collaboration, and education the NIC works to ensure that fraternities can operate in an environment conducive to their success.